About Me

My photo
Very mouthy and slightly neurotic retro enthusiast who wants to be everything but doesn't want to leave the comfort of her one house, and finds that being a bookworm can actually be funner than anything else...

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Day one or oh-my it is early

So it is just my luck that the day after I decided to actually start this blog is the day of a big book spectacular hosted by Harper Collins publisher. Basically it is an event where they introduce their new coming books for this summer and fall. As a book seller this is like opening presents before Christmas morning.
Though it is a perfect opportunity to try out my glamour skills plus my new lady like behaviour I’m a bit curious how I will manage. I set my alarm clock to 6 am to do my hear, my make-up and pack my clothes, walk my dog, prepare my lunch and go to work.


The alarm clock goes off 6 am sharp, for me at least five hours to early, it is the same time as when Robert (my boyfriend) wakes up for work, it should be the time I wake up as well, but me being too lazy I just turn to the other side, cover my head and decide to wake up an hour later.
First of all, Robert is a nice guy, he doesn’t expect from me to act like a perfect wifey to be, he actually brings me coffee to bed when I decide to wake up at the same time and he would do practically anything for me. But because I decided to do this “project” I think I might have to bring the coffee to him? Or you know what, maybe this could be my modern twist, I need my bloody cup of caffeine before I can start coping with this world….

Anyway, first task failed, I didn’t wake up when I was supposed to, I don’t even remember what I answer to Robert’s question “Do you want coffee?” and I don’t even know when he left the apartment. According to my new alarm clock it is 7:30 am and it is loudly ringing to wake me up. Now this time I am well aware that I HAVE to wake up because I have to be at work by 10am and I have so many things to do before I live the apartment at 9:30.
So hear it goes, I plug in my big old school curling iron and leave it to preheat and get what I need, my bobby pins, my big bandanna scarf, hair spray and then I’m ready to go. I section hair and start curling them, while still curly and hot I pin curl them. I continue to do this till my head is full of pin curls, then I take my bandanna scarf and wrap it around my head. I do my make-up and, ufff it is already something pass 8am and I still have to take my doggy out for a walk, drink a cup of coffee and finish my hair, dress up and pack my clothes for this evening. With my head still wrapped in the bandanna scarf and a big curler stuck to my fringe (for that better volume) I grab the leash and head for a walk with my dog. At this point I am not rocking the best pin up girl style and I’m definitely getting some side way looks from other people passing by.

We go for a short walk and we play with his ball for a while in front of our house, when we come in it is already 20 to 9 and OMG by this time I feel like I am in that series 24 where everything is measured in minutes and you are running out of time…
Somehow I managed it, I finish my hear, I pack my clothes and shoes and even take my lunch with me, so by the time of 9:25 I’m already outside the apartment locking the door on my way to work.
The day is slow and by lunch time I finally see that my fingernails are all chipped and what a horror I completely forgot to take care of this last night, thanks to the universe we have a Boots shop just next door so at my lunch time I go there to buy some lovely nail polish and nail polish removing pads. In my hour of lunch I manage to do my nails, eat my lunch and drink my diet coke for a nice refreshment and then again it is work time which passes by quickly and suddenly it is 6:15 pm and I’m off.

So because this is a work related party I promised to wait for few colleges till closing time so we can go there together and I can use those 45min to change into my dress and retouch my make-up.
45 minutes goes quick when you are pampering yourself so in no time we are back on the move and we grab the Luas so we could be quicker to the Light House in Smithfield where the event was held.
The first part of the event was the formality, they introduced us to new titles from all the genres, and to be honest I cannot wait for some of them to arrive in the shop so I can put my hands on (I’ll give you more detail in the following blogs) and after that we are already mingling with other booksellers and known authors and it is fun, they provide us with drinks and lovely food and even better deserts and everybody is relaxed and start to chitchat. I even get few nice compliments about my lovely dress and my look from various people, so I feel great I’m glad that someone noticed my major effort.
But like all good girls I say goodbye and leave the event at 10pm. I call a taxi and got home where Robert and Jacky are already waiting for me.
But when I finally come home from this long day I have to say that was the peak of my day, getting a kiss from Robert and a small lick of the nose from Jack is all I need. Although I cannot complain about the big bag of goodies that we got from HarperCollins and there are lodes of good reads and lovely chocolates, but there was also a plush toy of the Tiger who came to tea and that is now an absolute favourite of Mr. Jack.

Overall the day wasn’t so bad, but trying to be a good looking house wifey with a job and social life is harder than I imagined.  

No comments:

Post a Comment